7 SJFA teams battled it out in the 1st round of the FA People’s Cup aiming to clinch a place amongst the 550 progressing to the next round.
Nearly 50 SJFA players across three age groups delivered impressive performances during Friday evening and Saturday afternoon last weekend in the biggest first round in the history of The FA People’s Cup. Thousands of teams across the country congregated at various PowerLeague sites competing for cup glory with our SJFA teams visiting Slough and Bushey.
Below extracts from the match reports give us a flavour of the excitement experienced in the tournament.
- “A superb solo effort from out wide on the right-hand side by Ilyas Govani saw SJ get another glimmer of hope as the deficit was reduced to 2 goals”
- “The mouth watering clash of ‘Stanmore A v B’. This was the game that all the players and parents were waiting for. It was definitely worth the wait as it easily turned out to be the game of the tournament.”
- “Yasir was our goalkeeper and he made some amazing saves. Most of our opponents had strikers with powerful shots but Yasir rose to the occasion with his commanding performance.”
- “Hasan Kanani: The standout player in our team and our top goal scorer on the night. His efforts were impeccable as he fought for the ball constantly, creating chances whenever he could out with his skillful dribbling”
- “In the first match, we let ourselves down with a man-marking error”
- “Yaseen Valjy picked up the ball…. He started having flashbacks to his missed penalty in the quarterfinal of MAMT 2010. As he stepped up, everything was moving in slow motion.”
To view all reports , please visit:
ROUND ONE HIGHLIGHTS ON BBC iPlayer
Watch highlights from round one on BBC iPlayer this Saturday. The FA People’s Cup show will also air at 2.10pm on the Red Button.